Mail: wineskinsnew@gmail.com



Daily Life of Worship: Cathy Messecar writes about praying for each country of the world during lent

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Cathy Messecar writes about praying for each country of the world during lent

by Greg Taylor
A few years ago, during Lent, I prayed for countries I've never visited: Sri Lanka, Thailand, Tokelau Islands, Tonga, Tuzalu, Vanuatu, Vietnam, Wallis and Futuna Islands.

By the time Palm Sunday arrived, I’d prayed for all the nations of the world.

The excellent prayer guide “Seek God for the City” from http://www.waymakers.org helped me start.

In addition to the nations of the world, daily prayers in the guide suggest praying for people in my community: poor people, health care workers, broken families, soldiers, sick people, those unemployed, prisoners, disabled people, children and teens, mothers, arts and entertainment workers, those depressed and substance abusers.

After the 40 days, I felt more akin, in tune, yoked to Christ because my pleas and praise were not limited to the minority of people I know, but for this world as a whole and in part.

The guide helped me pray more comprehensive prayers than ever before. And, the very reasonable price of $3.00 sent me back for another guide this year. Even though we are already into the 40 days of Lent, I encourage readers to purchase a prayer guide. After you’ve prayed through it, place it by a December 2008 calendar page, as a reminder to purchase one for Lent 2009.

Way Makers offer other prayer materials at nominal fees of about $2.00 a booklet with discounts for quantities: What Would Jesus Pray, Light from My House and Prompts for Prayerwalkers, Blessings and Open My City.

Each prayer in the guide I used ended with “Even so, come, Lord Jesus.” And, one of my favorite lines from a petition about welcoming Christ, “And may your mercy amaze us even more than miracles.” I found the booklet to be one of the most helpful of prayer tools. But overriding any tool was the knowledge that God hears and heeds the sincere—from the simplest to the most organized prayer, poorly worded or eloquently stated.

My hope is based on the mercy of his hearing.

Cathy Messecar is author of Stained Glass Pickup and the forthcoming book, A Scrapbook of Christmas Firsts (both books by Leafwood Publishers).

Labels: , , , ,












FREE NewsLetter Sign Up !

Please enter your Email and Name to join.

Digital Newsletter